Hans Fahden Vineyards Wedding Photos:
The Fahden vineyards and winery consists of 100 acres. It is located at 1200 feet, in a range of the Mayacamus Mountains, on a ridge above Calistoga. The property features panoramic views of Mt. St. Helena.
Hans and Marie Fahden, natives of Hamburg, Germany, purchased the property in 1912. They were hard-workers who farmed the land growing grapes and then prunes, when Prohibition was enacted in 1920.
Sixty years later, in 1980, Antone and Lyall Fahden, the third generation, decided they liked cabernet sauvignon better than prunes. A new journey began to restore the land and make it productive. Three vineyard areas, separated by volcanic outcroppings and forests of Douglas Fir, were planted in 1982, ‘83, and ‘84. Ponds were created, roads were carved, and a wine cave was tunneled into a formation of four million year old volcanic ash. The Hans Fahden Winery became bonded in 1986. The first bottle of wine, which was produced from the 1987 vintage, was sold in 1992. The Hans Fahden Winery became licensed to conduct public tastings in 1996.